Position Summary: Participates as a member of the custodial staff and is responsible to carryout assigned janitorial and minor maintenance activities of Town facilities including (Civic / Cultural Centre, Multi-Plex, Abbey Centre, Community Centre, Protective Services, All-Star Park, Wadey Centre, Community Services Shop, Public Works Shop and Rental and Lease Properties).
The Custodial 1 position works with limited or no supervision and will receive instructions either verbally or written. Operates janitorial equipment and small hand tools and will participate in the Town Health and Safety Program and Procedures.
Hours of Work: 16 hours per pay period - Every Friday evening 3:30pm - Midnight
Reports To: Parks & Facilities Manager
- Proven ability to deal directly with staff and public in a courteous and friendly manner;
- Hands on application and use of computer systems and applications;
- Solid planning, organizing, and problem-solving skills;
- Commitment to continuous improvement and excellent customer service;
- Familiarity with sections of the Occupational Health and Safety Act that apply to custodial operations;
- Performs Town facility custodial work which includes general cleaning, window washing, sweeping, vacuuming, dusting, floor stripping, waxing and buffing;
- Trash and recycling disposal, restroom sanitations, upholstery and window covering cleaning as well as other custodial tasks provided to them by the Parks & Facilities Manager while ensuring a high level of custodial service is maintained;
- Performs repetitive tasks for all routine operations within prescribed performance standards and custodial procedures;
- Prepares facility for scheduled functions and ensures take down and cleanup occurs.
- Provides snow removal as required for all entrances, sidewalk, accessible parking stalls, and emergency exits.
- Ensures proper records keeping is completed for duties performed (i.e. shoveling, salting, ice-chipping, etc);
- Responds to and resolves complaints related to custodial services;
- Receives, processes, and carries out work requests from the Parks and Recreation Foreman;
- Checks maintenance of cleaning equipment to ensure safe and effective operation;
- Carries out tasks and projects within Occupational Health and Safety standards and Town policies and procedures; and ensure due diligence is followed;
- Maintain and support a positive and proactive Customer Service philosophy throughout the department;
Education and Experience
- Minimum Grade 12 combined with a minimum of one (1) to two (2) years’ of progressive experience, preferably in a municipal or public service environment;
- Knowledge of modern janitorial methods, material, equipment and sanitation would be considered an asset;
- Standard First Aid with CPR “C” and AED certification;
- R.C.M.P. Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search and Intervention Record Check;
- Current and valid Class 5 driver's license (Air Brake endorsement preferred);
- Ability to operate and maintain department machinery, including mechanical and power tools
- Light to medium work, occasionally lifting up to 50 lbs.
- High potential to be standing for long periods of time
Work Environment / Hazards
- Occasional exposure to moving mechanical parts and vehicles;
- Very dynamic work environment;
- Various noise levels exist within the work environment;
- Potential exposure to toxic chemicals and fumes;
- May work in varying weather conditions (icy sidewalks, uneven surfaces);
- When working within an ice rink, potential risk to harm if proper personal protective equipment (PPE) is not worn;
- Working with the public, there could be a potential risk of dealing with an irate customer or facility patron.
This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. This position description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope, the general nature and level of work expected to be performed.