Position Summary: Reporting to the Fitness & Aquatics Coordinator, the Fitness Programmer is responsible for equipment maintenance, facility supervision, equipment orientation for patrons and overall quality assurance of the delivery of the programs. The Fitness Programmer ensures a safe, clean, and enjoyable facility for public recreation and program purposes.
Requirements and Qualifications: As part of the Abbey Centre team you will be responsible for providing operational support for the marketing, coordination and delivery of all functions and services offered at the Fitness Centre and Running Track. You will be a motivated person, will possess strong communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work professionally with internal and external customers. You will possess strong skills in time management, organization skills, and strong customer service skills.
You possess Resistance Training and/or Older Adult Specialty Certification with other specialty fitness certifications combined with knowledge of fitness equipment and usage. You have the proven ability to develop and support patrons and are committed to impeccable customer service. Standard First Aid with CPR “C” and AED is required.
Hours of Work: A 16 to 18 hour work week with the possibility of varying schedules to address operational requirements, particularly on the weekends.
Reports To: Abbey Centre General Manager
Direct Reports: None
Position Summary: Responsible for providing operational support for the marketing, coordination and delivery of all functions and services offered at the Fitness Centre and Running Track. This includes equipment maintenance, facility supervision, equipment orientation for patrons and overall quality assurance of the delivery of the programs. The Fitness Programmer ensures a safe, clean and enjoyable facility for public recreation and program purposes.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Word processing and general computer is essential
• Proven ability to deal directly with staff and public in a courteous and friendly manner
• Solid planning, organizing and problem-solving skills
• Efficient and effective communication skills
• Strong teamwork and cooperation skills
• Ability to set priorities and balance several projects simultaneously
• Assist in the planning and development of policies and procedures for the Fitness Centre and Running Track
• Ensure safety for fitness program participants and staff by implementing and following facility policies and provincial legislation
• Ensures appropriate use of facility by patrons and guests and enforces facility guidelines and rules
• Supervises members in usage of fitness equipment
• Fitness program planning, implementation and evaluation including, but not limited to, develop lesson plans, development of session schedules, set-up and take down of fitness equipment required for programs and class instruction
• Ensure fitness activities meet with and integrate with organizational requirements for the quality management, health and safety, legal stipulations and general duty of care
• Interfaces with other functional areas of the organization
• Serve as an information resource for health and fitness program inquiries
• Assess community needs, explore new opportunities, research program trends and implement appropriate community programs
• Create, monitor and maintain all media including bulletin boards, signage and social media programs to increase visibility, membership and traffic
• Maintains and develops partnerships for programming both internal and external to achieve effective alliances for enhancement of the facility and its programs
• Ensures fair booking practices with patrons
• Develops creative concepts to increase use of facilities
• Responds to inquiries, handles routine correspondence, customer requests and complaints, and provides information to the public according to approved procedures
• Performs scheduled maintenance of the fitness equipment/accessories as required
• Perform daily checklists and custodial duties as required
• Performs building maintenance of the Abbey Centre as required
• Performs other related duties as required or assigned by the Fitness & Aquatics Coordinator and Abbey Centre General Manager
Preferred Education and Experience
• Knowledge of fitness equipment and usage is required
• Municipal work experience
• Resistance Training and/or Older Adult Specialty Certification
• Other specialty certifications and training a definite asset
• Valid Driver’s License with current Drivers Abstract
• Standard First Aid with CPR “C” and AED
• R.C.M.P Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check & Intervention Record Check
• Light work, occasionally lifting to 50 lbs, capable of safely lifting weights
• Very dynamic work environment
• The noise level in the work environment is quiet to loud
This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. This position description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope, the general nature and level of work expected to be performed.